Building Better Lives
Reducing the impact of poverty through social support and expanding access to services such as healthcare and education is vital to the achievement of a better quality of life for all South Africans.
“As we work to grow the economy and create jobs, we will expand support to poor families to ensure that no person in this country has to endure the pain and indignity of hunger.”
~ President Cyril Ramaphosa
SONA 2022 HIGHLIGHTS
- The R350 social relief of distress (SRD) grant is being extended for another year, to the end of March 2023.
- R44 billion allocated for the extension of the SRD grant.
- Efforts to develop South Africa’s ability to manufacture vaccines are continuing.
- We are working with other African countries and international partners to strengthen the continent’s capacity to respond to pandemics.
- Progress is being made in preparing for the introduction of the National Health Insurance.
- 97% of higher learning education sites are zero-rated, enabling free electronic access to lectures and resources.
- We have prioritised infrastructure projects to support better livelihoods, especially in roads and water management.
PROGRESS SINCE SONA 2021
- 30 million COVID-19 vaccine doses administered
- 50 000 new healthcare and support posts created
- Around R63 billion in UIF wage support benefits paid to workers
- Over 59 million people registered on NHI database
- SRD grant reaches more than 10 million people
- School meals provided to over 9.6 million learners nationwide