Corruption undermines the delivery of services, hampers job creation and investor confidence, and damages public trust in the government.
Guided by our National Anti-Corruption Strategy (NACS), government is taking decisive steps to expose and punish corrupt activities in both the public and private sectors, reform our institutions to make them stronger and more transparent, and restore a professional and effective public service.
“The fight against corruption will take on a new intensity thanks to the outcomes of the State Capture Commission, the strengthening of law enforcement agencies and the implementation of new anti-corruption practices in the public service.”
~ President Cyril Ramaphosa
SONA 2022 HIGHLIGHTS
- A plan of action in response to the recommendations of the State Capture Inquiry will be presented by the end of June.
- Legislation and other measures to protect whistle-blowers are being strengthened.
- A new head of the Investigating Directorate in the NPA is being appointed.
- Discussions are underway with the judiciary for the creation of special court rolls for statecapture and corruption cases.
PROGRESS SINCE SONA 2021
- Regulations changed to allow State Capture Commission to share information with NPA
- Investigations into COVID-19 corruption completed
- Lifestyle audits for public servants underway
- Task force established to prosecute those accused of state